If you would like an application mailed to you or if you have any questions that are not answered here, please call HDAP staff at 617.502.1700.

For specific questions on:

  • The status of pending applications or missing documents: Please call HDAP at 617.502.1700, menu option 1
  • The Comprehensive Health Insurance Initiative (CHII) or other insurance issues: Please call CHII at 617.502.1700, menu option 1
  • The Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) program: Please call Kevin Herwig at 617.502.1700, extension 1737 (email: kherwig@crine.org)
  • Specific claims or pharmacy billing questions: Please call Evelyn Colon at 617.502.1700, extension 1741 (email: ecolon@crine.org)

Click on any question below to reveal its answer.

What if the applicant is a minor?
What can be submitted as proof of Massachusetts residency?
Can a PO box be used as proof of residence?
What if the client does not have his/her own permanent address?
Is the client able to have mail sent to a PO box?
Is the client able to have mail sent to his/her case manager?
Can an undocumented resident apply to HDAP?
Does the client’s date of birth have to be included on a recertification application?
What needs to be included with the application if the client is working?
What if the client is not working and is not receiving any government benefits?
What if the client is not working, but is receiving government benefits?
Does the Provider Information section always need to be filled out completely?
Who should fill out the Clinician Information section?
What medications will HDAP pay for?
Why does the Pharmacy section have to be completed when applying for assistance with co-payments?
What if the client wants to change pharmacies?
Can the client use more than one pharmacy to fill prescriptions while enrolled in HDAP?
Can the client pay the co-payments up-front and then get reimbursed by HDAP?
How long will it take to process the application?
What types of insurance premiums does CHII cover?
Does the client have to enroll into HDAP to be accepted into CHII?
If a client is eligible for MassHealth, can he/she choose to enroll in non-group insurance through CHII instead?
The client needs assistance with his/her employee premium deduction. What is needed with the application?
I lost my job but am eligible for COBRA. What should I do?
How do I go about applying for a non-group plan directly through a private insurer?
Does the client need to sign the application?
What other services does HDAP provide?